As I’ve mentioned before, I love Italian food. Spaghetti and meatballs are a classic Italian dish, and this recipe is wonderful. I have made these meatballs many times and they are always so delicious. The combination of turkey, beef, and pork in the meatballs gives them tons of flavor. However, if you want to just use all beef or turkey in the meatballs, they will still turn out great. You cannot go wrong with this recipe!
Adapted from: Giada De Laurentiis
- 1 small onion, chopped
- ¼ cup chopped fresh Italian parsley leaves
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2/3 cup grated Parmesan
- ¼ cup dried Italian-style breadcrumbs
- 6 ounces ground beef
- 6 ounces ground turkey
- 6 ounces ground pork
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Marinara sauce, 26-ounce jar
- 1 pound spaghetti
- Sauté the onion in a large, nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until the onion is cooked and slightly browned.
- Mix the first 7 ingredients (cooked onion, parsley, egg, ketchup, garlic, salt, & pepper) in a large bowl to blend. Then stir in the cheese and breadcrumbs.
- Mix in the beef, turkey, and pork. Using about 2 tablespoons of meat for each meatball shape the meat mixture into 1 ¼ to 1 ½ -inch-diameter meatballs. Place on a baking sheet.
- Heat the oil over medium-high heat in same large nonstick skillet that was used to sauté the onions. Working in 2 to 3 batches, add the meatballs and sauté until browned on all sides, about 5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the meatballs to a plate.
- Add the jar of marinara sauce to a large pot and heat, covered over medium-low heat.
- Then add the cooked meatballs to the sauce. Simmer over medium-low heat until the sauce thickens slightly and the flavors blend, about 20 minutes, or until the meatballs are fully cooked through. Season the sauce, to taste, with salt and pepper. (The meatball mixture can be made 1 day ahead. Cool, then cover and refrigerate. Re-warm over medium heat before continuing.)
- Cook the spaghetti according to package instructions. Serve with meatballs and marinara sauce with spaghetti and parmesan cheese.
Serves: 8 (The meatballs & sauce make great leftovers)