Whenever I want a healthy, protein-rich meal, I turn to this recipe. I tore this recipe out of Real Simple magazine (one of my favorites!) several months ago and have already made it three times. It’s a simple baked dish that is comprised of chicken, cannellini beans, and tomatoes. Baking the chicken with some garlic, herbs, and chicken broth makes it super moist and so flavorful. It’s also incredibly easy to make and requires very minimal prep work, so it’s perfect for busy weeknights!
Chicken with White Beans & Tomatoes
- 2 (15.5-ounce) cans cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 pint grape tomatoes
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme, or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 4 sprigs fresh oregano, or 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- ¼ cup dry white wine or chicken broth
- Chicken broth
- Heat oven to 375° F. In a 9-by-13-inch (or some other large) baking dish, toss the beans and tomatoes with the thyme and oregano sprigs, garlic, red pepper, 1 tablespoon of the oil, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon black pepper.
- Pat the chicken dry and place on top of the bean mixture. Drizzle the remaining tablespoon of oil over the chicken; season with ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon black pepper. Pour the white wine (or chicken broth) into the baking dish and then add enough chicken broth so that the liquid is approximately ¼ inch deep.
- Bake until the chicken is golden and cooked through, approximately 35 to 45 minutes, or until it registers 165 degrees F.
Source: adapted from Real Simple Magazine, January 2011