Mother’s Day Sugar Cookies
I don’t need much of an excuse to make sugar cookies, so when Mother’s Day rolled around, I knew it was the perfect opportunity to whip up a batch of cookies. I used crinkle cut square cookie cutters along with my favorite sugar cookie recipe, and then decorated the cookies with royal icing. I wanted the icing colors to be fitting for the occasion, so I made yellow, purple, and white icing. And I knew we would be having other desserts too, so I packaged up some of the cookies in little plastic treat bags, and placed a cookie at each place setting. This way, my guests could take them home as favors, and the cookies also served as table decorations. Enjoy!
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 ½ tsp. almond extract
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 ½ cups sifted flour
- Cream the butter and powdered sugar.
- Blend in egg, almond extract, vanilla extract, salt and flour.
- Chill dough until firm.
- Roll to ¼” thickness on a well-floured surface.
- Cut with cookie cutters. Place on greased cookie sheets, and bake at 375° for 8-10 min. The cookies should not brown.
- Frost and decorate when cool.
Yields: 3-4 dozen cookies, depending on size (Recipe can be doubled)
Recipe from: Annie’s-Eats blog
- 3 tablespoons meringue powder
- 4 cups sifted confectioners’ sugar
- 5-6 tablespoons water
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- Beat all ingredients at low speed for 7 to 10 minutes, or until icing forms peaks.
- Icing recipe can be doubled. I recommend doubling it if you double the cookie recipe and/or if you are using more than 2 colors of icing. It’s always better to have a little extra, than to run out.
- Keep icing covered with a wet kitchen towel (or wet paper towels) at all times, as icing can dry out quickly.
- Click on this link for a good tutorial on how to decorate cookies with royal icing.
- Have fun!
Royal Icing Recipe Adapted from: All Recipes
Other sugar cookies:
- Easter eggs, carrots, bunnies, ducks, & flowers
- Fruits & Birthday cookies
- Valentine’s Day hearts
- Christmas cookies