Every time I use my slow cooker, I wonder why I don’t use it more often. It’s such a wonderful kitchen appliance. I made this pulled pork last weekend and it was so easy! All I had to do was put the pork in the slow cooker along with some onions and chicken broth (for flavor) and set it to low power for 8 hours. Then I had the whole day free to cross things off my to-do list and run my errands. Meanwhile, my dinner practically cooked itself! I also used this time to make a delicious cranberry blueberry pie for dessert– (recipe to come soon!) After 8 hours, I checked on the pork and it was cooked to perfection. Then all I had to do was shred the meat, put it back in the slow cooker with some BBQ sauce (my favorite is Sweet Baby Ray’s :) ) plus a few other ingredients, simmer it for another hour, and dinner was ready. I served this pulled pork on homemade brioche burger buns (which I also made while the pork was cooking all day.) These pulled pork sandwiches were fantastic! The pork was sweet, tender, juicy and deliciously BBQ flavored. And the leftovers were great the next day… and the day after that too. I’m not usually one to eat leftovers 2 days in a row, but this was so good that I couldn’t resist! I can’t wait to make this pulled pork again!
Slow Cooker Pulled Pork
- 1 (3 lb.) boneless pork shoulder, skin and excess fat removed
- 1 onion, chopped
- ½ cup low-sodium chicken broth or water
- 2 cups bottled or homemade barbecue sauce
- 2 tablespoons mustard
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- Salt and pepper
- Trim the pork of any excess fat. Scatter onion over bottom of slow cooker and place pork on top. Add broth, cover and cook on low until very tender, about 8 hours. Remove the meat and let cool. Remove the onions and cooking liquid from the slow cooker (discard them) and wipe the slow cooker clean with a paper towel.
- When cool enough to handle, pull the meat into thin shreds, removing all fat and gristle.
- Return the pulled pork to slow cooker and stir in the barbecue sauce, mustard, honey and soy sauce. Season with salt and pepper. Cook for 1 hour longer on low, stirring occasionally. Serve on toasted hamburger buns.
Source: Adapted from My Recipes